The goal of the VHF Regional Infrastructure Project is to strengthen interoperable communications capabilities within the San Diego region by providing back-up radio communications for regional fire agencies. This project is a multi-agency and multi-year effort. On behalf of the North Zone fire agencies, North County Dispatch JPA has been accepting grant funds, obtaining equipment and services through competitive procurement processes, replacing and deploying equipment strategically across north San Diego County, and meeting with project managers and key regional players to plan the next steps.
Since May 2017, the JPA has accepted a total of $2.2 million in UASI grant funds and implemented VHF systems at the following locations:
- Crest Reservoir in Del Mar
- Ellery Reservoir in Carlsbad
- Fire Mountain Reservoir in Oceanside
- Minnesota Radio site in Fallbrook
- Morro Hills Communications site in Oceanside
- Oak Crest Reservoir in Encinitas
- Red Mountain Radio site in Fallbrook
In addition to the above sites, the JPA also purchased five portable radio repeaters to strategically deploy within the North Zone.